Friday, December 19, 2008

Indian

INDIAN

My sister who I stay with is my 24/7 surveillance camera. She thinks I am very Indian. She responds “gyaka gyaka” (too Indian Indian) to my mannerisms specially when I talk and act together with my light hands in the air. She thinks I am too ornate with my gesticulations, animated and expressive with my facial muscles according to the normal Tibetan girl standard. Oh well, she smiles once in a decade and laughs her lungs out with me only. So, I take it with a grain of salt.

My parents are happy with my friendships with Indians. Mum cooked for them in the heat of Chennai kitchen also.

My friends think I am a different Tibetan, tilting more towards the Indian traits but still remaining loyal to my Tibetaness.

My lecturers are confused and disappointed because I am Tibetan when they want me to behave and perform like the rest of my Indian classmates and I am Indian when they want me to weep like a helpless powerless refugee and carry a benign lord buddha’s smile.

I remain wilfully misconstrued at the expense of all these judgements. They say action speaks louder than words. My actions remain incomprehensible.

I speak in Tibetan, find more comfort writing in English, dance to Hindi songs, eat Tamilian food, my circle of friends include Tibetans, Indians viz tamil, malyali, kanadiga, and Srilankan etc. I am not sure if one will like the other individually and by that I don’t mean from one race or ethnicity to another. More like one person finding an interest in the other irrespective of race.
I can accommodate all of them.

I am Indian, I am their uninvited guest and been living here like its my home. And they have allowed me with great hospitality.
I am Indian, I think of spending winter in India after I go back Tibet.
I am Indian, I wish I can vote for the government who looks after me.
I am Indian, I wish I don’t have to leave India even if we get independence.
I am Indian, if Sachin Tendulkar is single, I will blindly marry him.
I am Indian, our grandfathers were in the Indian army and many youth still are.
I am Indian, its my idea of home.
I am Indian, quite naturally.

But I am Tibetan when I am asked which nationality because that is the identity I am deprived of.

And my Tibetanness has allowed me to be an Indian.

No comments: